Friday, July 25, 2014

"We aren't in an information age, we are in an entertainment age." Tony Robbins


My wife and I suffer from entertainment overload.  In the evening when we settled down in front of the big screen TV before retiring to our bed we have a plethora of choices of what to watch.  We “never” watch current shows.  Our schedule is chaotic enough that we are most likely to miss a future live episode and lose continuity. We almost never watch – with the exception of important sporting events – TV during the day.  That would interfere with online poker, online chess, etc.  We don’t record, via a DVR, current shows because we have an entertainment overload.  We will sometimes watch the politically biased news analysis programs.  I like to watch both the “left” and the “right” version, but my wife can’t tolerate the conservative view.  She – like me – is very liberal in her political view.  I like to watch the conservative view to see how the other side is spinning the same story. But my wife will exit the room if I leave Hannity on for very long.

But, I digress.  We usually don’t watch whatever happens to be on TV live.  We have DVDs and a subscription to NetFlix.  And because we don’t watch shows live, there are ample amount of material on NetFlix that we haven’t seen.  As an example, we had never watched “Breaking Bad’ when it was on.  We started watching it when it became available on our subscription and it a matter of a few weeks – on our schedule – watched all of the episodes in sequence.  So our problem is often, “We’ve finished watching what we were watching.  What do we watch next?”

We’re currently watching “House, M.D.”  We’ll watch three or four episodes in an evening.  We’re midway through season two.  If a particular evening is filled with a social engagement – no problem, we’ll watch episodes the next evening.

Sporting events – if one is interested – have to be live.  I want to watch SoCal beat ND – not catch the score haphazardly on some news feed.

An aside,… I think Dr. House and I have the same personality.  Those who know me will recognize how easy that conclusion is to reach.  Perhaps I flatter myself.


2014 Lester C. Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment