Thursday, July 3, 2014

"The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls." Pablo Picasso


I’m color blind.  An ophthalmologist gave me a test and concluded that my problems lie in the fact that I was over sensitive to red.  If there was any red there it would wash out the other colors. He said, “You must really see a lawn weirdly.”  I see a green lawn the way I’ve always seen it.  Seems normal to me.  I do remember that when I started driving that the red or yellow traffic lights seemed indistinguishable.  Green was barely distinguishable.  The position of the light – top, middle, bottom – was more important than the actually color. Apparently, later, the powers-that-be, realized this and subtracted the amount of red in the yellow and green.  I have no trouble now.

One manifestation of this disability in my early days was when I put together electronic kits.  Electronic components were color-coded.  The three color bands on a resistor indicated the value.  Early on, I frequently choose the wrong resistor. I resolved that problem by not relying on my interpretation of the color bands but by using an ohmmeter.  I successfully built several HeathKits.

Then at some point in my life I got a creative urge to paint – oils, acrylics.  The typical reaction to my product was, “Geez, those colors are weird.”  They looked normal to me.  Well, of course, that led to abstract art where weird colors were de rigueur.  When you don’t know what the hell you’re looking at, you can’t complain about the colors.  I painted several pieces that I (alone?) liked.

Photography drastically changed art.  When a mechanical device could render realism, then art had to find alternative avenues – impressionism, cubism, abstractism, etc.

The artist who could realistically render a portrait found their market shrinking.  Why pay for something that a camera could do with very little expense?

One neat thing about art is that most art is appreciated after the artist is dead.  So if you’re an artist you can go to your grave and believe that your discovery will happen.  Must be comforting.  Ninety-nine percent of artists just rot in their grave but there is that one percent.

My youngest son got a degree, B.F.A, in fine art and I have a few of his paintings.  Some are a mixture of impressionism and realism.  Very creative.  I like them.

Through random FaceBook activity I found that the daughter of a classmate of mine was a gifted portrait artist.  She had studied art and I really like her work.  After some emails I found she could work from photos.  I commissioned her to do a portrait if each of my granddaughters.  I have those portraits now and they will be passed on through succeeding generations.  I have something I treasure, are heirlooms, and will last much longer than the artist.  I direct you to her homepage http://www.maryancilla.com  


So I support art and appreciate it. I’ve been to the Louve, the Rijksmuseum and several reservoirs of quality art.

I lament I can’t contribute creatively to it.


2014 Lester C. Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment