Friday, May 30, 2014

"Other than dying, I think puberty is probably about as rough as it gets." Rick Springfield


          Before puberty I had a good life.  I read books, played with my chemistry set and microscope (I was a bit of a geek and proud of it), hunted cottontails with my single-shot .22, and searched for Native-American arrowheads on my grandparent’s place (it was legal then; not now).  I was happy.  My Dad would give me chores to do, but I endured them.  I had control over my life – my thoughts.  I led a moral life.
          Then puberty hit and life went to hell.  I started noticing those creatures with long hair.  Sometimes I couldn’t stop thinking about them.  I was no longer in control of my thoughts.  The devil took over.  It became much more difficult to lead a moral life.
          After a couple of embarrassing incidents in my sleep – which I didn’t understand – my mother gave me a paperback book with a title similar to “Your Changing Body (for Boys).”  I read it and knew I was doomed.  It wouldn’t get better – only worse.  I wondered if a similar book was written for girls?  The library didn't have a copy. At least that's what the librarian said when I asked for a book about girl's bodies.
          I gave in and decided to go with the flow.  I started getting hair on my face.  I needed a razor and to start shaving – at least once every two weeks or so.  Shick (or was it Gillete?) offered three models of a safety razor, “light,” “medium,” and “heavy.”  The choice was the hardest of my adult life.  “Light” seemed to be a denial of my machismo.  Hell, I was a man, now.  I could father children.  “Medium” seemed terribly wishy-washy and I sure didn’t need “heavy.”  I tried to think of an analogous choice for young ladies, but after an intimate discussion with my wife (use your imagination) decided there was none.
          And because of hormonal changes I started getting migraines.  Nothing was the same.  I suffered.
          But somehow I survived.  I now sport a shaped (gray) beard.  I shave parts of the hair on my face to achieve the shape.  I use a “light” safety razor.

©2014 Lester C. Welch

3 comments:

  1. LOL. I agree. Puberty was the worst part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painful time of life! I remember in 5th grade a boy who sat behind me put dead flies down the back of my blouse. Gross and disgusting. I learned later he really had a crush on me.

    I was terribly shy throughout this time period. All those insecurities...I was certain I was alone in feeling that way!

    I remember reading a book my mother gave me about the "facts of life"; it was very vague and certainly didn't explain things very well. I asked my mother followup questions and she told me to reread the book! Wouldn't trade that time of life for anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that time of life be fun if we could re-live it with the knowledge we have now?

      Delete