Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"I've tried to meditate, but it's really hard for me to stay still. I'd like to try to force myself to do it, because everybody says how wonderful meditation is for you, but I can't shut my mind up." Ellen DeGeneres

          It was comforting to find Ellen DeGeneres’ words.  I thought I was the only one with this reaction.  When I talk about meditation I feel lacking because I’m not sure what it is or if I’ve tried it.  In the harshest terms it seems as if it a fancy name for an inactivity an uncreative mind invented to be lazy and not feel guilty about it.   Maybe that’s a tad too harsh.

      Proponents of meditation cite scientific studies purporting to prove the health benefits of meditation.  When I ask about the “control group”, often I’m met with a blank stare.  I explain, “Did they compare the findings from the meditating group with a group who merely rested, thought vigorously, and didn’t meditate?”  My implication is that, of course, rest is the most likely contributor to the increased health.  I thereby become part of a conspiracy to debunk meditation.  Why a group would want to do that, I’m not sure.
I hate to be bored.  Being bored is a waste of your mind and of time.  A problem I have with walking (for the incognoscenti, a mild form of exercise involving leg motion, which nevertheless makes you feel old) is that I get bored.  How much thought can you give to the sights you see – especially the third or fourth time you encounter them?  I think it’s impossible to meditate and not be colossally bored.
But there are people who proclaim meditation as the answer to all of their personal problems and have made an academic study of different forms, different mantras, and different techniques.  It must be easier for some people to lose their minds.

©2014 Lester C. Welch

4 comments:

  1. I've never understood the fascination with meditation. I've tried it, but not for long because it drives me crazy to be that still! And bored! I put it in the same category as yoga. (No offense to those who may be reading this and really enjoy meditation or yoga!) It's just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried but never had any success with the Zen-style, clear your mind meditation - I have no luck controlling "busy brain" and my mind inevitably wanders. What I have found useful (and I'll accept debate here if this fits the term 'meditation') is a period of introspection characterized by focus and calm. In other words, intentionally choosing something to consider and maintaining a distance of emotion. Useful to consider, for example, events from the prior day that made me anxious or uncomfortable, and understanding why that was or how to proceed. Works when walking by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of yoga as a physical meditation - i.e., your mind is still on autopilot. I also find myself unable to separate the benefits of meditation from the placebo effect - if you think it is good for you, it will be. But,...there are those...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding the balance between a nearly comatose state and an overly chatty mind is a daily challenge. As Theodore Roethke once said, "A mind too active is no mind at all." So, which is worse, feeling like you are bored and wasting time or letting your mind run wild? Depending on the day, I might choose either one. I do find quiet time, in some pleasing form (other than sleep) to be rejuvenating.

    ReplyDelete