Tuesday, May 27, 2014

"It is quality rather than quantity that matters." Lucius Annaeus Seneca



I admit that health articles that promise me an extended life turn me off. I’ve had too many friends and family that have had a longer life in a deplorable condition. Why would I want to do that? I would much rather have my remaining years as a time I enjoy rather than twice that many years doing things I don’t enjoy. Is the purpose of life just to live or to enjoy?

I could eliminate from my life, red meat and wine and maybe live a bit longer, but, gheez, I’m old already. If I can’t enjoy life now, with a huge medium grilled steak and a bottle of cabernet, why did I go to the gym for those many years? A piece of gooseberry pie à la mode, of course, would follow and perhaps chips and salsa with a beer later.

I don’t think the course of the end of our life can be predicted and I sure don’t believe it is determined by our life habits. We could do everything healthy and still be bed-ridden for a couple of years – cancer, or what have you.. The same thing could happen if we were a complete reprobate, and ignored all health advice. Likewise we could die suddenly of a heart attack or stroke whether we worked out daily in the gym or not. The timing in life would probably be different. I do believe that the length of our life can be influenced but not the length or conditions of our death. If medical science could guarantee me a quick death if I did xyz, I’d buy in. But the most they can offer me – and I believe them – is a longer life if I do abc. But they are mute as to whether or not I’d enjoy the extra time.

I’ve had heart problems all of my life. If I had been born a century before, I’d have never made it beyond puberty. I’ve had open-heart surgery and a valve replaced. What I have in life now is a miracle and a gift. Should I squander it by doing things (e.g.exercise) that I detest when I could be sampling a new vintage of chardonnay? I’m always shocked when I read an obituary of a healthy person – age 45 – who died unexpectedly of a heart attack. I’ve always expected a heart attack and yet am still alive.

I would advocate that our culture gives each of us, at the time we retire (say), a pill. That pill could be used whenever we deem that life no longer offers us enjoyment – and would painlessly kill us by self administration but only if it is accompanied by a pill rendered by a mental health professional whose sole responsibility is to determine if we are rationally capable of making such a choice. I’ve seen too many people I care about, lie in a bed wishing they could escape. Life no longer has any rewards for them.

They no longer follow college football.

©2014 Lester C. Welch

4 comments:

  1. I like the pill idea. I know others who have done exactly that. I think we should be able to choose.

    I am on day 27 without sugar. My goal is to be described medically as "overweight" rather than "obese". I want my body to be my friend for as long as I live. I can make the effort where it seems worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! There is an argument to be made - if I spent 25% of my time doing things I hate ( and the remainder of 75% doing things I like) so I live 25% longer is that worthwhile? If we only knew the exact numbers! I guess individual judgment comes into play and that's what life is all about. :-)

      Delete
  2. I've thought about this a lot. Prior to retirement, I worked with folks who had End Stage Renal Disease, on dialysis. They inspired me every day, and it challenged my thinking about what I perceived as quality living.

    As we age, become more frail, do we move the bar in what we are willing to accept as physical limitations, pain and suffering? Does our definition of quality life change? Is it a gradual process, where one adapts to these changes that inevitably come our way? I think we all hope for a sudden, instant death as opposed to a long, lingering death. But I think this rarely happens.

    Being physically active is something I enjoy very much. Will it help me to live longer? I don't know, but it is good for my soul and contributes to my happiness. I hope it will help me maintain my strength and balance as I age, as I see this as important in maintaining independence in old age. If/when I lose my functional independence, I cannot imagine wanting to continue to live.

    So, yes, quality over quantity. Issues worthy of thought and discussion: how does each person define quality of life, are we accepting of others' decisions? Depression is more common in folks with chronic illness; how does this impact their judgement when evaluating their quality of life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think the bar lowers as we age. Good observation, Carole. If I had lived my life when I was 25 as I am now, I would've been very bored. I think happiness should have top priority. If doing the things that increase your physical health and makes you happy, you're lucky! For me it seems as if it's one or the other.

      Delete