Sunday, May 11, 2014

"A life lived without regrets is a life not lived." Unknown

        In searching for the above quote, I discovered that I may be alone in having regrets about my life.  I regret some of the things I did and some of the things I didn’t do – opportunities missed.  Some seem to believe that if you have regrets it’s a defect in your life.  Nay, say I.  Regrets are a sign of limits tested or of your humanity.  You were tempted and yielded.  Or you were too dumb to recognize a door opening and didn’t walk through.
            In reviewing my life - which I’m apt to do after a couple of glasses of pinot noir – I recognize how factors beyond my control governed and influenced decisions, I made.  One is, of course, responsible for one’s actions.  Could a society function if not? However the political and religious predilections, cultural values, etc., of one’s parents have an inescapable and subliminal impact on your life.  If your father was a strong assertive unforgiving type, you’re likely to cower before authority figures and thus not be considered for a promotion. If you are raised without sisters, women will always be more puzzling than the guy with a sister who dominates the bathroom.
                So – since no upbringing is perfect – you’ll have imperfections in your person which lead to regrettable actions or inaction.  Regrets are a natural part of life.


©2014 Lester C. Welch

1 comment:

  1. Right on, Lester. My particular issue with regrets is that I tend to dwell on them more than remembering the successes I've experienced. Still working on that one..... As for your quote, I (fondly) remember telling my students that one of the most powerful phrases that they can utter after a failure/mistake is, "Ahhhhh, NOW I know!".

    ReplyDelete