Tuesday, September 16, 2014

"The nature of music is mysterious and so much so that it generates strong emotions within us. It moves along passages that reach the most intimate areas of our psyche without being tried by prejudices or influences of any kind." Andrea Bocelli


One of the favorite songs of my formative years was “Sugar Sugar” by the Archies.  I give a YouTube link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MiQzAo6Cp8and) and I’ll give a couple others to illustrate my post.  I confess that – perhaps – one of the reasons this was a favorite was because – at that time in my life in California - the bars had live entertainment involving beautiful young women walking and dancing, usually nude or at least scantily clad, on a stage to music.  This song was a popular choice of theirs.   This type of entertainment may be illegal now.  After a couple of beers accompanied by music and eye candy, all the senses seem to merge, but the music remains a spark and key to those memories.

So I searched on YouTube for renditions – a purely academic exercise to connect with my past, I hope you recognize.  My first reaction to the above rendition was how incredibly young the Archies were.  Geez, were they past puberty?  But their song swelled my link to the past.

Another rendition I found was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxZWF80hs0 This rendition – while filled with young women dancing – I found to be very surrealist.  None of the girls are dressed similarly.  A couple have slinky nightgowns – others run the gambit of attire.  No uniformity.  Plus notice the near lack of facial expression.  It’s almost like an excerpt from a Zombie movie.  I found it eerie enough I watched it several times.

The last rendition I offer is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS3U2MoQU54
I like this for purely esthetic (as opposed to erotic) reasons.  Seeing the older women move in unison accentuates the beat of the music. 

The ties of music to our psyche is very strong.


© 2014 Lester C. Welch



1 comment: