Thursday, September 18, 2014

"I don't want my grandchildren to go through what I went through." Art Modell


I’ve asked myself the question “Why am I writing this blog?”  After some thought I know the answer is:  I’m writing it for two reasons – Kalina and Zora, my granddaughters. 

I can’t remember a conversation I had with either of my grandfathers.  I can’t remember a word either of them ever said to me.  They were nice guys, I’m sure, and I have positive recollections and memories of them. I was their oldest grandchild but the times were different and men interacted with family members differently then, than now.  I have no idea of how they felt about me or the world or themselves.

So Kalina and Zora, when you are adults and I’m dead and if you wonder what I was like – read this blog.

You, each, were a beacon of joy and enlightenment to me assuredly – and other ancestors presumably.  You just reacted to the world and learned about and enjoyed life, - aided competently by your beautiful parents.  I was an enthusiastic on-looker. 

I try to picture you at 40 years old reading these words and wish I was there.  The saddest part of growing old is knowing that I won’t see you grow old.

You are special.


© 2014 Lester C. Welch


No comments:

Post a Comment