Friday, June 13, 2014

"Turn on to politics, or politics will turn on you." Ralph Nader


           Feeling a bit sheepish about my last posting caused me to examine my political leanings.  Why am I liberal?  Why are some people conservative?  
          A population geneticist I know believes that evolution has resulted in both a “liberal” gene and a “conservative” gene because  - during our hunter-gather stage - depending on the circumstances - each offered a survival advantage.  One can certainly imagine situations in which acting with caution and taking no risks would be prudent.  Other situations might require daring to find food and water.  Leaders would emerge from each camp who displayed the necessary skills to survive in those situations.  If this is the case; the political divide is in the genes, it is a good thing, and we’re stuck with it.
           But if it is not written in our DNA, how do our political inclinations form?  As I grew up my family was not political.  We didn’t discuss politics around the dinner table.  The first political feeling I had, that I can remember, was being for Richard Nixon.  He and I (I felt) had a similar demography.  Kennedy was from a rich sophisticated educated family.  Nixon was a “common” man who had to fight for everything he got. He was the underdog.  Nixon was a symbol that a guy like me could make it.  So I didn’t pay attention to the policies they espoused – just from where they came.  I was wrong.  Nixon was a crook.
          Do life’s experiences shape our politics?  I never served in the military.  I was 4-F but that’s beside the point – I didn’t want to serve.  I’ve never owned a business.  Do these two facts shape my view?  Without having to prove it, it does seem that the military and business produces more conservatives than liberals.  Why is that?  Do the rigors of military discipline and the laws of economics crowd out individual risk taking and altruistic feelings?  Is “big government” just a convenient scapegoat for unfortunate – and perhaps undeserved – failures?
          On the other hand I did thrive in the academic environment.  There’s not much physical labor – pick and shovel type of work - there.  I truly felt lucky to be able to work in an air-conditioned lab doing the things I like to do.  I think it made me feel sorry – and thus develop an exaggerated (?) empathy – for those not so lucky.  I could understand the benefit of “entitlements.”  Big government to me is just our way of organizing our help to each other.
             It’s not easy to write about political beliefs without sliding into the mire of “talking points” and repeating the words one hears from the talking heads.  But ask yourself where your fundamental politics come from.  Why do you believe the way you do?  When were you first aware of them? 
           One common erroneous belief that many, on both sides, have is that in some way they are blessed with a deeper ability to see into the matter and have the “truth.” I think that is the height of arrogance.
            There is no “truth” in politics.

2014 Lester C. Welch

7 comments:

  1. Interesting concept, that our political leanings are a result of our genetics. I would guess that genetics may play a role, but probably your life experiences have influence as well. My mother was/is a republican, my dad a democrat (although a quiet one around my mother!). Before he passed, one of our favorite things to do was to talk politics!

    I had two different careers prior to retirement; the first as an educator, the second as a nurse practitioner. Was I drawn to these careers because of my political leanings? I think so. But I also think that my work experiences helped to shape who I am today.

    Both careers exposed me to the disadvantaged, both economically and physically. I developed a first hand knowledge of the misfortune and inequality many of these people suffered, through no fault of their own. Every day I saw folks struggling just to meet their basic needs; I saw way too much of this, and it broke my heart.

    If instead, I had decided to open my own restaurant, would my politics have turned out differently as a restaurant owner? I don't think so, but I honestly don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up in a liberal and politically activist household, I saw civic involvement as a duty (not genetic). Was on a teachers' association negotiating team and served as a precinct (Democratic) committeeman. Now I am a precinct judge of elections. However..... I have been somewhat "cursed" with the ability (desire?) to see both sides of an argument, which helps me understand better the frustrations of supporting politics. My father was one of the earliest of area labor union organizers (he was a machinist) but grew despondent when he saw so many "lowlifes" taking over the union movement and too often turning it into one more bureaucratic big business.

    Like you mention in your blog, politics is becoming like a religious affiliation, where truth is assumed to be with the believers. I'm getting so tired of the vitriol of the extremists (so much more in our faces with the internet) and the insularity of our so-called representatives. I still will continue to be involved, but recognize that so much of political posturing is a farce and, unfortunately due to the tribal nature of humans, always been and may always be a big part of the democratic process. And it's amazing that we've progressed as far as we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posting reminds me of what Winston Churchhill said, "Democracy is a terrible system, but it's the best we can have." - or something like that.

      Delete
  3. Hey Lester,

    I'm feeling a bit sluggish today and not sure I read that right. Did you just suggest that conservatives do not take personal risks and are not altruistic?

    I also picked up a more subtle hint that liberals are "academically superior" and therefore have an easier time relating to the plight of the "pick and shovel" types. Why do you presume that they need or want government assistance, or your sympathy? Just sayin'

    As to being genetically predisposed, or shaped by our environment to lean one way or the other - I don't think that most of us ARE one way or the other, I think we are just good people who are forced to take sides sometimes. As I have said before, we are closer than one might think. One day people will stop buying into the big illusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne,...Business people (most of whom are conservatives) certainly take risks to get their business started but risk taking in business makes more failures than successes (with some notible exceptions). What percentage of small businesses are a success? My google says half fail within 4 years.

      I think that most conservatives claim they are altruistic because their aim is to better the system for everyone. In their view they would like to change the system so "entitlements" aren't necessary. I think they are unrealistic and that welfare - with attendent fraud because it's a human system - will always be necessary to keep people from starving in the streets.

      Why do conservatives claim that universities and Hollywood are the bastions of liberalism? I do think empathy for a group of which you are not a part is possible - with attendent caution as you suggest. LBJ had empathy for minorities - and he certainly wasn't one of them - when he passed the civil rights act. He presumed to know what they needed. Thanks for the thoughts and reply.

      Delete
  4. I feel compassion for the disadvantaged, but at the same time I can look at the choices some of them have made and judge them unfavorably. That might make me a conservative.

    I'm a business owner, and recently the city (Seattle) approved an increase in the minimum wage to just over $15 an hour over the next few years. My administrator told me the other day that he worries about keeping the owners' returns coming in. I said, "For me, it's not a problem. Everyone should make a living wage." That makes me a liberal, I guess.

    No political discussions in my family growing up; my father was a career military officer. In one of the years he was putting me through college at the University of California at Santa Barbara, my father was in Vietnam. I was teargassed through an apartment window during student protests my senior year. I came out of college just about a pacifist. Another conflict, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think that makes you a liberacon :-) I'm probally a conservaberal! Try saying that twice!

      Delete