Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"If men liked shopping, they’d call it research." Cynthia Nelms

          Shopping is worse than travel because it is not easily avoided.  Sometimes one has to go shopping 3 or 4 times a week.  Shopping involves moving which – as I’ve already explained – makes you feel old. 
Grocery shopping for me is such a pain that I plan it in detail – which aisles, can size, flavor of cookies, possible substitutes, etc.  For each 15 minutes of grocery shopping, and I rarely spend more than 15 minutes, I spend 45 minutes of planning.  You can sit still and plan.  Grocery stores should make available a gizmo that, as you made your grocery list, the gizmo would arrange the list in the same order as they appear in the aisles.  You wouldn’t have to backtrack.  I might try to learn to use a piece of technology like that.  Imagine not having to read a grocery list each time you entered a new aisle searching for scattered items.  The gizmo would say “Aisle 6 – dried prunes on the left hand side in the middle, pabulum on the right near the end.”  Why hasn’t that been invented?  If we can go to the moon, why…oh, never mind.
Besides grocery shopping there is – horror of horrors – shopping for clothes.  Luckily I don’t have to do as much of that as I used to.  When you’re gainfully employed you worry more about your attire.  Will I have to dig a ditch in the mud?  Does this tie go with this shirt?  That type of thing.  When you’re retired it’s a great relief to find that bathrobes last a long time.  My wife insists on accompanying me when I shop for clothes.  She says my color coordination isn’t the best.  (I have some color blindness.)  Her being along means that a 5 minute trip to buy a new suit, 3 dress shirts, 6 pairs of shorts, a pair of loafers, and 4 pairs of socks can stretch into a half hour.  “Honey, try these shorts.  Michael looks so good in them.”
My wife, I notice, likes to shop.  She doesn’t make a list but just wanders the aisles looking and looking.  The lack of a list means that she can buy anything she wants.  She’s free.  After several hours of shopping, as she’s checking out, she sometimes finds it’s all in vain because she has forgotten her credit card.  But she’s not upset at all.  In fact, she says it’s probably for the best because she didn’t want any of the stuff anyway.  We try to avoid shopping together.
Every few years we have to buy a new car.  Last time was when our Edsel’s left rear fender rusted off.  We – my wife likes this approach - have made a science of it.  We shop by looking at reviews in the popular consumer magazines.  We know what we want – something made for old farts.  We compare the options available.  Does one have to hand crank to start it?  We’re getting too old for that.  Most have gotten rid of the spark advance as well – a pity.  We look at the price.  After we decide what we want, we get the print out of the dealer’s cost of the car and each of the options.  We walk into our local dealer and wave the printout about.  Most of the salespeople disappear and then we casually walk around looking at the most expensive vehicles on the showroom floor.  That usually tempts a junior sales associate out of their cubicle and they say the fateful words, “Can I help you?”
An hour later we have signed a sales contract – giving the dealer a respectful, but not exorbitant profit – and have a two-week wait.  No dealer ever has exactly the car with the color and options we want but they locate a dealer in Outer Mongolia that does and they have to ship it in.  The first time I drive a new car is after I’ve bought it.  The hardest thing to learn is how to turn on the wipers.

© 2014 Lester C. Welch


No comments:

Post a Comment