Friday, November 7, 2014

"One of the secrets of life is to keep our intellectual curiosity acute." G. M. Trevelyan

Those who know me realize two things about my personality:

1) I have a great intellectual curiosity.  This manifests itself in several ways (sometimes distructively) but most obviously in my "six-month" hobby excursions (e.g., mechanical clock mechanisms, plant identifications, artificial language constructions, genealogy, different cuisines)   Once my curiosity is satisfied, I move on.  I have the same intellectual curiosity about social movements/issues.

2) I love to argue/debate/discuss issues.  I can (and have) argue/d both sides of an issue.  Both I NEVER make it personal.  I really want to get to the "truth" - or the best representation thereof.  I do have my personal beliefs but often I want to put my personal beliefs to the test - are they consistent/logical? - and I seek out external competent counter-arguments.

These two traits have gotten me into trouble.

I frequently underestimate the extent that others take my "probing" questions to be personal.  I'm wanting to get to the "bottom" of the matter and others interpret my efforts as questioning their integrity or their values.  
I firmly believe that objectivity is required to get closer to the "truth."

"I love objectivity when mine. Brian Spellman

© 2014 Lester Welch


No comments:

Post a Comment