Saturday, August 23, 2014

“A certain man once lost a diamond cuff-link in the wide blue sea, and twenty years later, on the exact day, a Friday apparently, he was eating a large fish - but there was no diamond inside. That’s what I like about coincidence.” Vladimir Nabokov


Coincidences can be mistaken as miracles.  The universe of highly improbable events occurring together is so huge that it is no wonder that it happens sometime.  When it doesn’t happen we don’t notice, so we miss the millions of non-coincidences for each coincidence that we do see.  Pick two important people in your life – spouse, parent, etc.  Had you noted that they (probably) don’t have the same birthday?  But if they did have the same birthday, you would have noticed.

I once was driving in Chicago with my two teenage sons.  We were discussing whether we wanted hamburgers or pizza for lunch.  None of the three of us had strong feelings on the matter.  I stopped at a red light and the license plate of the car in the adjacent lane was “PIZZA-3.”  That settled the issue.  However if the license had been "JYT-648” I would not have noticed nor remembered and it wouldn't have affected my life.

When I was 12 (or so) I was riddled by questions and doubts concerning religion.  “Was there a God?”  “Why did evil exist?”  “Why weren’t my prayers answered?”  One day I was a passenger in a car as my Dad drove along a dirt road well known to us.  An electrical line paralleled the road.  As we neared the top of a hill, I decided to put the existence of God to the test.  “If there is a God, a hawk will be perched on an electrical pole beyond the hill."  One could see for miles from the top of the hill.  We got to the top of the hill and about a half mile away, a hawk was sitting atop a pole.

However, my own test didn’t satisfy me.  I knew there were lots of hawks and poles.  Future trips along the same path showed that 4 times out of 5 there was a visible perched hawk.  I convinced myself that you can’t test for God.  That would be too easy.

But if I have to give an accounting at the “pearly gates,” I’ll be in deep trouble.

© 2014 Lester C. Welch



No comments:

Post a Comment